Know a four-year-old who is not in preschool? Now is the time to apply for free pre-kindergarten education for the 2019-2020 school year through On My Way Pre-K.
On My Way Pre-K is a state-funded program available in 20 Indiana counties* for four-year-olds of eligible families. Nearly 8,000 Hoosier children have attended preschool through a grant from the On My Way Pre-K program since it began in 2015. Allen County was one of the five original pilot counties. Early Childhood Alliance has two pre-k managers who work with On My Way Pre-K early learning programs.
Families must meet the following criteria to apply:
- The family must have an income below 127 percent of the federal poverty level.
- Their child must be 4 years old by August 1, 2019, and starting kindergarten in the 2020/2021 school year.
- Parents/guardians in the household must be working, going to school or attending job training.
Links to electronic applications, in both English and Spanish, as well as a printable paper application, are available at OnMyWayPreK.org
For more information, contact Early Childhood Alliance Pre-K managers:
- Kim Fullove in Allen and DeKalb Counties, 219-384-9657, kfullove@ECAlliance.org; or
- Anna Carter in Elkhart, Kosciusko, Marshall, and St Joseph Counties, 219-384-7582, acarter@ECAlliance.org; or visit onmywayprek.org
*Allen, DeKalb, Elkhart, Kosciusko, Marshall, St. Joseph served by ECA in northern Indiana; also Jackson, Lake, Marion, Vanderburgh, Bartholomew, Delaware, Floyd, Grant, Harrison, Howard, Madison, Monroe, Tippecanoe and Vigo Counties.
Once a family has met eligibility requirements and has been awarded a grant for its child, the family may choose any of the eligible programs participating in the On My Way Pre-K program. Families can search approved providers at ChildCareFinder.IN.gov or call 1-800-299-1627, for assistance.